Chicken Noodle Soup is a versatile and delicious dinner, perfect on a snowy day like today, or as the go-to cure for any cold or flu. This recipe utilizes lemon and rice to provide a hearty and wholesome meal for everyone to enjoy.
Chicken & Jasmine Rice Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 – 1-1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoons thyme
2 (32-ounce) containers chicken stock
1/2 cup rice
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 lemon, juice of
1) Heat large pot and 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
2) Place chicken in pot in single layer, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and cook until no longer pink on the inside.
3) Remove chicken with slotted spoon, leaving juices in pot.
4) Add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, and cook onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until onions are translucent but not yet browned, about 5 minutes. Mix in thyme and cook 30 seconds more.
5) Add chicken stock and turn up heat to medium high.
6) Once pot reaches boil, add rice, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
7) After 15 minutes, check that rice is cooked thoroughly and add chicken back into pot.
8) Turn off heat, add parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and lemon, and serve.
Notes and Tips:
- I dice about three quarters of each vegetable, and finely dice the remaining quarter. I love the overall flavor it adds to each spoonful, and it’s also a sneaky way to make sure your kids eat the veggies!
- This recipe is gluten and dairy-free!